Internship funding is available to technology-based businesses and state and local agencies offering paid internships. Preference will be given to smaller businesses and employers seeking interns to fill technical and creative roles that require science, technology, engineering, and/or math (STEM) skills.
To be eligible for MTIP funding assistance, the employer, internship position and intern hire must meet the requirements below:
Employers applying to receive funding support from MTIP must:
- Submit a MTIP Application along with a paid, technical internship position for review and approval.
- Be located in Maryland.
- Be a technology-based business, or a state and local agency offering a technical internship.
- Employ an intern who meets the MTIP funding eligibility below.
- Participate in an online orientation and complete a short post-internship survey.
- A “technology–based business” is defined as a commercial or an industrial enterprise engaged in the application of scientific knowledge to practical purposes in a particular field.
- Federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations and public and private colleges and universities are not eligible for funding.
- If approved for MTIP funding, employers may be reimbursed up to 50% of an intern’s wages and up to $3,000 annually per intern ($1,800 for the first semester and $1,200 for subsequent semester).
Eligible INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
Employers must submit an internship description for review and approval by MTIP administrators.
Eligible internship positions must:
- Have an identified staff member who serves as the intern’s supervisor and mentor.
- Provide a physical work-space in Maryland (remote internships are not eligible).
- Include a substantive project for the intern.
- Provide a minimum of 120 hours of work per semester (over 8-15 weeks in the fall, winter, spring, or summer).
- Pay at least the current state minimum wage, $10.10 per hour.
Important note: If an employer has already selected an eligible candidate for an internship position and the intern has just started (2 weeks or less) or has not yet begun, the employer may still apply for MTIP funding. The employer does not need to re-advertise the position but is still requested to submit the opportunity for review.
Eligible INTERN HIRES
Employers seeking MTIP support must employ an intern who meets one of the four descriptions below:
- Current college student, with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above, who is attending a Maryland higher education institution.
- Current college student, with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above, who is Maryland high school graduate attending a higher education institution outside of Maryland.
- Graduate (within 12 months) of a Maryland higher education institution.
- Maryland resident, with a 2 or 4-year degree, who has been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, The National Guard or a Reserve component of the Armed Forces within the last 18 months.
Important note: Interns who are funded through the program will have access to special networking and educational events and will be required to complete a post internship evaluation and survey.