Internship funding is available to technology-based businesses and state and local agencies offering paid internships. Preference will be given to smaller businesses and employers seeking interns to fill technical and creative roles that require science, technology, engineering, and/or math (STEM) skills.
To be eligible for MTIP funding assistance, the employer, internship position and intern hire must meet the requirements below:
Employers applying to receive funding support from MTIP must:
- Submit a MTIP Application along with a paid, technical internship position for review and approval.
- Be located in Maryland.
- Be a technology-based business, or a state and local agency offering a technical internship.
- Employ an intern who meets the MTIP funding eligibility below.
- Participate in an online orientation and complete a short post-internship survey.
- A “technology–based business” is defined as a commercial or an industrial enterprise engaged in the application of scientific knowledge to practical purposes in a particular field.
- Federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations and public and private colleges and universities are not eligible for funding.
- If approved for MTIP funding, employers may be reimbursed up to 50% of an intern’s wages, up to $3,000 annually per intern ($1,800 for the first semester and $1,200 for subsequent semester).
Eligible INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
Employers must submit an internship description for review and approval by MTIP administrators.
Eligible internship positions must:
- Have an identified staff member who serves as the intern’s supervisor and mentor.
- Provide a physical work-space in Maryland (remote internships are not eligible).
- Include a substantive project for the intern.
- Provide a minimum of 120 hours of work per semester (over 8-15 weeks in the fall, winter, spring, or summer).
- Pay at least the current state minimum wage, $10.10 per hour.
Important note: If an employer has already selected an eligible candidate for an internship position and the intern has just started (2 weeks or less) or has not yet begun, the employer may still apply for MTIP funding. The employer does not need to re-advertise the position but is still requested to submit the opportunity for review.
Funding Limits and Terms
The Maryland Technology Internship Program can reimburse employers for up to 50% of an intern’s wage, up to $3,000 annually per intern ($1,800 for the first semester and $1,200 for subsequent semester).
Eligible employers are limited to a maximum of 6 awarded internships in a fiscal year (July 1 to June 30). An employer may apply for no more than two funding awards for the same intern.
Funding will be reserved for an employer once an application is approved and an intern hire is reported. If MTIP funding availability changes for any reason, employers will be notified immediately.
NOTE: Fifty percent of MTIP funding must be allocated to technology-based businesses with 150 or fewer employees.
Once your intern has completed their internship with your organization the following items need to be submitted in order to receive funding:
- An invoice on company letterhead stating the following:
- Your employer identification number (EIN)
- A W-9 form or I-9 form
- Your intern information (name, dates of service, rate of pay and hours worked)
- Amount you are requesting to be reimbursed
- Payroll verification
- Provide the last pay stub showing the total amount you paid the intern
- Please address the invoice and documents to the below contact information:
- Maryland Technology Internship Program – Annie Weinschenk
- UMBC Career Center – Math/Psychology Bldg. Room 201 1000 Hilltop Cir, Baltimore, MD 2125
This will be accepted via mail or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.